A Thousand Myths

The footpath was dusty, with bright spots of the afternoon sun glinting off the pebbles. The only relief was a stunted almond tree(badam-ka-peyd)valiantly struggling against destiny.

Name:
Location: Upstate NY, United States

Industrial designer with a deep interest in local, small-scale, market-driven technology solutions to poverty.

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Dear diary,

You know what happened today? Our saamaan-boy died. He fell down from our building's terrace. I even saw him lying downstairs. It was very bad. We were playing hide and seek actually and it was Smriti's den. When she was looking for us, she found him instead and fell down. She was very upset. She cried a lot after that. I was not that scared. I watch many shows where I have seen all this. This was nothing. In one show, they showed someone killed with an axe. That was gross.
I heard Mummy and her sister, my choti masi, talking about it in the taxi. We are in my aunt's place for a while now. They said he wanted to steal something and while trying to run away, he fell down. Rita Aunty, my mother's friend thinks some villain from the basti pushed him down. The basti is a bad place. My mother has told me and Chintu to never cross the road and go there. It is also very dirty there. There is garbage everywhere. My father says he must have taken a loan and not have been able to pay it back. I don't understand what he meant. We have to go to school from Sheela masi's house now. It is more fun here than at home because here they have a swimming pool and a big TV.
I am going to go back and find out what happened to the saamaan boy. It will a good game, like hide and seek. Today I came back alone from school in a taxi. The school bus left early. Tonight we are going to have pizzas for dinner. I want to stay here for a long time and not go home. Ok, I will write more tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home